Saturday, August 1, 2026

CASE ON THE MOUNTAIN TOP

 THREE DETECTIVES CLIMB

BALD MOUNTAIN

Jack, Gloria and Valerie climb to the summit of Bald Mountain in Utah.  Putting down their daypacks, they walk over to a Hispanic family enjoying views of Mirror Lake below.

Marco the father says, "This is our first time up here.  We're from California."

Rosa the mother adds, "We live near sea level and not use to hiking in high mountains."

Gloria remarks,  "Bald Mountain is 11,943' above sea level and the air is a lot thinner.  Would you like me to take a picture of your beautiful family?"

Rosa smiles, "I'm Rosa, my husband Marco, my daughter Ana, and my son Carlos."

Rosa passes her cell phone to Gloria to shoot a family portrait.

Gloria takes a photo, saying, "Carlos, you're not smiling!  Put on a happy face."  

Passing back the phone, Carlos mumbles, "Cell phone coverage is spotty up here.  I can't contact any of my friends."

Jack smiles, "We are the three detectives.  I'm Jack, Valerie is our note taker, and Gloria shoots videos.  We are here investigating mountain top experiences and wonder if you would like to share your thoughts."

Ana speaks, "Some of the hike was scarey walking near steep cliffs.  I don't know how anyone can climb Angel's Landing in Zion."

Carlos adds, "I almost fell running on loose rocks today."

Jack speaks, "You all made it to the top of the mountain.  Have you made it to the top of the mountain in your career, goals or life?"

Rosa blurts out, "Yes, I'm married to Marco, and have Carlos my son and Ana my beautiful daughter.  With my family, I'm on top of the world."

Marco looks in Jacks eyes, "I grew up in a large family, we were poor, but the good Lord always provided for us.  After I married Rosa, I had to work two jobs to provide for my family."

Rosa adds, "He was working so much, he was never home.  I told Marco, he should start his own business.  That's when he started his food truck."

Ana speaks, "Papa's food truck broke down, and he decided to start his own Mexican restaurant."

Carlos talks, "He's rich now, tearing down the old building to construct a larger restaurant.  Me and my sister will be going to college after we graduate high school."

Valerie states, "Sounds like you have reached most of your dreams of life and are on the top of the mountain.  Have you ever thought about your afterlife?  Do you have any mountain top goals with Jesus?"

Marco's family is silent, looking at each other waiting for the first one to speak.

Marco scratches his ear, "Won't we be floating in heaven with all the angels?"

Valeria replies, "I'm going to be living forever with Jesus.  'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16 NIV - New International Version)

Jack speaks, "After the great tribulation, Jesus the Messiah will set up his kingdom on earth for 1,000 years."

Gloria adds, "Marco, this life is short on Earth now.  Should you be preparing to be apart of God's future kingdom.  Is there another mountain top you should be seeking?"

Rosa smiles, "We don't attend church as much as we should.  Carlos needs to do homework,
Ana stays up all night, and Marco either wants to watch games or go fishing with his friends."

Jack speaks, "When we meet Jesus, he will be on the Bema Seat to judge our works of what we did for God during our lifetime."

Gloria reads, "Because all of us must go and stand in front of Christ as our judge. He will decide about the things that we have done during our lives here on earth. Whether we have done good things or bad things, we will receive what is right for us." (2 Corinthians 5:10  Easy - Easy English Version)

Rosa replies, "We are a good and loving family."

Jack reads, "For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.  Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,  each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is.  If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward.  If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire."
(1 Corinthians 3:11-15  NKJV - New King James Version)

Valerie adds, "After athletic competion, winners would go to a raise platform called the Bema, to receive their reward for their accomplishment.  Jesus said, "Look! I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me to repay each person according to what he has done."  (Revelation 22:12  HCSB - Holman Christian Standard Bible)

Ana speaks, "Reminds me of the Parable of the Talents, I learned in Sunday school."

Valerie summerizes, "Yeah, a wealthy man gives workers bags of silver to reinvest while he goes out of town.  His first worker he gave five bags of silver, second worker he gave two bags of silver, and third only had one bag to reinvest.  One Talent is one 75lbs bag of silver coins or bars."

Marco smiles, "I wish I had ten bags of silver."

Rosa smirks, "Maybe five bags."

Valerie continues, "When the master returned he wanted to check on his investment.  The first worker doubled his silver to ten bags.  
He was rewarded with the position over 10 towns.  The second worker doubled his silver to four bags.  He was rewarded with the position over 4 towns.  And the worker who was lazy and afraid of his master and buried the silver, had his reward taken from him.  His reward was given to the worker who had ten bags."

Gloria adds, "God has given us gifts, talents and resources to accomplish His works.  Whether we feed the poor, teach Sunday school, pray for the sick, help our neighbor, or preach the gospel, Jesus wants us to be His hands and feet.  Jesus ascended to Heaven, and when He returns and you approach the Bema Seat, will you receive any rewards?
What are your motives for doing good works?
Will your works burn up like wood, hay and stubble; or will your works remain like gold, silver and precious stones?"

Marco says, "My life is too busy...I'm still trying to do good works to earn my salvation."

Valerie reads, "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,  not a result of works, so that no one may boast.  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:8-10  ESV - English Standard Version)

Jack asks, "Are you Born Again?  You cannot see or enter the kingdom of God unless you are Born of the Spirit."

Ana speaks up first, "I love Jesus and want to be Born Again."  Marco's entire family desires a relationship with the Son of God."

Jack says, "Repent from your sins and follow Jesus!"   Jack leads them in a pray of salvation, then says, "Go and be baptized, and make a public proclaiminon of your new faith in Christ Jesus."

Marco being filled with God's Holy Spirit, jumps around, saying, "I am a new man in Jesus Christ!  I'm a new man!"

Rosa smiles, "I'm filled with bubbling Joy!"

Jack concludes, "Now that you are Born Again, the Holy Spirit will give you power to accomplish your good works, to show the world that God lives in you!  Are you going to reach your new mountain top?"

No comments: