Tuesday, September 15, 2026

DO YOU WANT TO RECEIVE A CROWN FROM JESUS?

 TRAIL RUNNERS IN PARK CITY

WOMEN'S FITNESS TRAINING

Missionary Debra is taking five college age Christian ladies trail running in Park City, Utah. After a steady run uphill, Debra finds a good place to take a break.

Georgina, the black woman says, "I'm not used to the higher elevation, the air is a lot thinner up here than Georgia."

Alicia, sitting with twin sister Sue, says, "I think we're 7,000' above sea level.  Your heart has to work harder up here."

Debra continues, "I've been a missionary around the world, climbing steep hills, daily walking 20 miles to villages, and paddling canoes in rivers.  Do any of you want to follow in my footsteps?  Any future missionaries here?"

Kim, the Chinese sister of Lead Detective Jack, raises her hands with a big smile, saying, "I am willing to go anywhere with Jesus to the ends of the earth!"

Debra smiles, saying, "In ancient Greece, runners who won the race would receive a Stephanos Crown at a Bema seat."

Alicia asks, "Did they receive royal crowns like the ones kings wore?"

Debra answers, "No, a Stephanos crown is a wreath made of laurel, oak, ivy, myrtle, or olive leaves."

Sue comments, "Did they wear it like a sweat band?"

Debra shakes her head, and speaks, "Are you aware that there are five different crowns, Jesus will reward His faithful, only if you earn them?"

Luna, pastor Manuel's daughter blurts out, "Can you tell us what the Five Crowns are, and how we can earn these rewards."

Debra speaks, "Crown of Glory is given to Pastors, Evangelists, Missionaries, Elders, Teachers and anyone who feeds the flock with God's word the Bible, and makes disciples." 

Luna quotes, " Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”  (Matthew 28:18-20  NIV)

Georgina reads from her cell phone: "To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder and a witness of Christ’s sufferings who also will share in the glory to be revealed:  Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.  And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away."  (1 Peter 5:1-4  NIV - New International Version)

Debra adds, "You can lose your reward if you are seeking dishonest gain and use your position to lord over your disciples.  Remember Jesus is the Lord and we are His servants."

Alicia comments, "These crowns do not perish; not like the ones given to Greek athletes?"

Debra continues, "Our next one is the IMPERISHABLE CROWN.  As we discipline our bodies today trail running, if we want to earn this crown we must discipline our lives, body, soul, mind and spirit for Christ!"  

Alicia reads from her cell phone, "Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.  And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air.  But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."
(1 Corinthians 9:24-27  NKJV - New King James Version)

Debra comments, "We need to have self discipline and use our bodies as a temple to glorify God."

Kim smiles, "Teachers need to set the example and live holy lives too, or they'll lose their reward."

Debra continues, "CROWN OF LIFE, is given to those endures trials and temptations and perserves until the end."

Kim reads from her Bible app, "Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him."  (James 1:12  NASB - New American Standard Bible)

Sue reads from her phone, "Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life."  (Revelation 2:10  NASB)

Debra comments, "You need to be faithful throughout your life, until death.  Does anyone know what the CROWN OF REJOICING is?"

Georgia blurts out, "I know, it's praising and worshipping God."

Luna reads from her app, "For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming?  For you are our glory and joy."  (I Thessalonians 2:19-20  NKJV)

Debra comments, "Paul rejoices for all the people who came to Jesus Christ.  This crown is known as the Soul Winners Crown.  
Does anyone know what are final reward we can earn?"

Alicia raises her hand, saying "CROWN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS"

Debra speaks, "Do you remember the Parable of the 10 Virgins.  5 were prepared and waiting excited for the return of the Bridegroom, while 5 were unprepared, sleepy heads.  The Crown of Righteousness will be given to those who are waiting for the appearing of Christ."

Luna adds, "We don't know the day or the hour that Jesus will return. 

Kim reads, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing."  (2 Timothy 4:7-8  NKJV)

Debra speaks, "Jesus will return like a thief in the night at a time nobody will expect.  Will you rejoice at His coming, when you can see Jesus face to face?  Or will you be unprepared as a sleepy head?

Georgina adds, "I heard about these crowns, but I never realized this is something we need to earn these during our lifetime."

Kim adds, "This is spiritual trail running we need to do every day, to be fit for the Lord."

Debra concludes, "Anyone want to quit running and go home?  Or do you want run the good race, be faithful to God, endure through trials and temptation and be excited rejoicing for the day you will see Jesus."

Debra gets up, and runs down the trail.   All the ladies spring up and rush behind her, trying to catch up.

No comments: